Sunday, 23 December 2012

Lollipop Chainsaw

I really enjoyed everything I played by Japanese developer Suda 51, but his last game, Shadow Of The Damned seemed a real unexpected treat.

Unsurprisingly Lollipop Chainsaw feels like a similar game, just without the contributions from (Resident Evil creator) Shinji Mikami, because that's what it is. And while Chainsaw feels a shallower game without Mikami's contributions, you do appreciate Suda's wild imagination & flair.

This game's equivalent of Johnston is Rick, your boyfriend's head, decapitated to prevent spread of zombification. Personally, I thought James Gunn's dialogue between Rick & Juliet was a game highlight.

I can't deny it feels a little short, the combat is a little basic & some of the arcade mini games were frustrating. But it's got charm & replay value- I was determined to try and save all the students and get the unlockables. Oh and a kick ass soundtrack- the most frustrating of those mini games was aost enjoyable set to Human League's "Empire State Human".

Suda 51 still works better as a collaborative designer, but is still capable of shining when solo.

7.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment